I can't believe Timmy is actually potty trained now. I'm sort of amazed that he can actually do this by himself, a little surprised and proud each time he runs off to the batroom on his own.
One day a few months ago Timmy woke up and said, "I want to use the potty." (The night before he had pooped in the bathtub and seen how disgusted I was cleaning it up.) So I said, yes! we'll start potty training today. Then I started making mistakes. I took him to sit on the potty every hour or so all day. Sometimes he'd go. I cheered and praised. Then I'd put the diaper back on. He went more often in his diaper, and by the end of the day the last thing he wanted to do ws go sit on the potty again. By June he was finally not yelling no and protesting about sitting on the potty anymore and he had to be potty trained to go to preschool, so we tried again. It got off to a rocky start but went so much better this time. We stayed home, rolled up the rug, closed the bedroom doors and let him run around with no diaper, naked all day, much to Patrick's dismay. At first he wasn't even trying, he'd just go on the floor, but Patrick started taking a toy to the garage each time and that worked. After that first day, he did great. Less and less accidents each day. Even the pediatrician recomended bribes, so we gave him a mini cookie and a sticker each time and gave him a new toy car when he finished the sticker chart. We were even able to go places and take him to the public bathrooms. He wore pullups for the first few weeks when we'd go out. He still has accidents every once in awhile, when he doesn't stop playing, the first day when we're visiting grandparents, and sometimes I don't know why. I didn't realize how much easier it would be to only be changing one person's diapers all the time. It really is much better, one less thing to do.
One day a few months ago Timmy woke up and said, "I want to use the potty." (The night before he had pooped in the bathtub and seen how disgusted I was cleaning it up.) So I said, yes! we'll start potty training today. Then I started making mistakes. I took him to sit on the potty every hour or so all day. Sometimes he'd go. I cheered and praised. Then I'd put the diaper back on. He went more often in his diaper, and by the end of the day the last thing he wanted to do ws go sit on the potty again. By June he was finally not yelling no and protesting about sitting on the potty anymore and he had to be potty trained to go to preschool, so we tried again. It got off to a rocky start but went so much better this time. We stayed home, rolled up the rug, closed the bedroom doors and let him run around with no diaper, naked all day, much to Patrick's dismay. At first he wasn't even trying, he'd just go on the floor, but Patrick started taking a toy to the garage each time and that worked. After that first day, he did great. Less and less accidents each day. Even the pediatrician recomended bribes, so we gave him a mini cookie and a sticker each time and gave him a new toy car when he finished the sticker chart. We were even able to go places and take him to the public bathrooms. He wore pullups for the first few weeks when we'd go out. He still has accidents every once in awhile, when he doesn't stop playing, the first day when we're visiting grandparents, and sometimes I don't know why. I didn't realize how much easier it would be to only be changing one person's diapers all the time. It really is much better, one less thing to do.
Update: I remember potty training as being pretty difficult with Timmy, and it taking quite a long time, like 6 months. He really didn't seem to care that much about pooping his pants and we'd sometimes catch him pottying in the backyard.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.