Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Timmy starts Preschool


Timmy went to his first day of preschool last week. I can't believe he's getting so big. First his teacher, Mrs. Altendorf, came to visit him at our house, read him stories, and he drew a picture to hang in the classroom that he said was different colors of coral. Then we went to open house to see his classroom. I had a hard time pulling him away from block building to show him anything else in the room. Blocks have been his favorite thing for the last couple of months. The first day was just for an hour. My eyes started to tear up a little when Patrick and I dropped him off. How fast he's growing up is really hitting home. We asked him what he did , and he said he made a playdough cake for his friend, Emmalin, and then wore it as a hat. There was still playdough in his hair. He's finally starting to be interested in actually playing with other kids and making friends. After his first regular morning of school, I asked hom what he did, and he exclaimed, "I won the bike race!" It's taking me some getting used to not knowing what he's doing every moment of the day. I look at the clock, and think, nine o'clock, maybe he's at circle time right now. I ask him a million questions when he gets out. What was your snack, what story did you hear, he doesn't tell me much when I just ask what did you do. It's funny to hear things just from Timmy's perspective, just what he notices and finds important, such as a boy doesn't like to eat the apples with peels. He's starting to learn his classmates' names. He told me , "Paul tried to take the big rig from me and put it away." I'm hoping this will help him in learning to share and listen, and follow directions more. He had one tantrum after another that afternoon after his first morning. He finally calmed down after he agreed to eat something, so I think he was mostly just hungry and adjusting. He's so excited about going to school and tells me he likes it. The other morning, he was trying to get me to hurry up and get going and take him to school.









































No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.