Saturday, November 16, 2013

Camping Trip

I've wanted to take the kids camping for years. We finally got the chance to with the cub scouts this past weekend. Timmy was so excited about it, he told everyone at his school during the days leading up to it. We went to Apache Pass which is just outside of Thorndale, Texas, about an hour northeast of Austiin. Patrick had his doctoral classes that weekend, so he couldn't come along, but my father and law, Pat, was able to. My sister, Sara, joined us for the night as well.  The weather was perfect and we had a really nice time. Timmy was a little tired and getting wild at times, but also spent all weekend playing well with the other boys.

helping Grandpa set up his tent They really wanted to help and to hammer especially.

The longest suspension bridge in Texas is there. (I don't think there's very many suspension bridges in Texas.) Timmy was scared climbing up the stairs the first time. He held another boys hand while walking across, and got braver about it throughout the weekend. They really loved the bridge.



chopping with an axe. The scout leader asked them what the wood chips that chipped off could be used for, and Timmy said, "Beaver food!" They were thinking of fire starter, but I like Timmy's answer.




Cub scout hike

They found some cow bones on the hike. Timmy said this was his favorite part of the whole trip.

Will's first camping trip. He surprised and relieved Mommy by actually not trying to pick up and chew on everything from the ground all the time.

Lexa loved the tent. She kept going back to sit and play in the tent while Timmy played with the other boys or tried to catch frogs in the river.

There was a campfire in the evening. They did little skits, roasted marshmallows, and Timmy received his bobcat award.





I got home with food poisoning from eating the eggs there the next morning. It was awful, just like the time I decided to make myself some eggs when our refrigerator broke last year. The worst headaches I've had in my life along with throwing up. I feel for people who get migraines now. I'm so thankful Sara, Pat, and the kids didn't have any of the eggs too, and even more thankful I didn't give the baby any. I sometimes feed him eggs, but that day, I arbitrarily gave him some hash browns off my plate instead. 
Other than that, some tired wild behavior from Timmy, Timmy falling down crying every time he was tagged while playing capture the flag, and not sleeping well because the baby and I didn't fit very well together in the sleeping bag, my first time camping with kids was a success. We all took naps when we got home. Timmy napped for five hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.