Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Harry Potter

A few months ago I said to Timmy, "This summer how about I read you a book about a boy whose a wizard named Harry?."
Timmy: "Does it have dragons?"
Me: "Only a little bit, but it has hippogriffs."
Timmy: "Yay!!"
He loves it. We're on to the fourth book now. I read it to him at bedtime after he practices reading to me. He really loved the silly parts of the first two books. Anything about Neville Longbottom's toad or messes and mischief, and he's laughing out loud. He likes Harry's firebolt broomstick, the parts about dragons and riding hippogriffs. He gets really nervous and stands up in bed when he's worried about them doing something that will get them in trouble. The prospect of being caught by teachers is way scarier to him than Lord Voldemort or dementors. He'll sometimes ask me not to read a part where Harry and friends are sneaking around when they shouldn't be.
A few days ago Lexa and Timmy were playing out in the backyard together. I looked out the window, and they were holding sticks and pointing them at things doing spells.
Timmy chose to be Harry Potter for Halloween. He was surprised that everyone was calling him Harry and knew who Harry Potter was. We told him that a lot of people have read the books. He got best costume in his class on book character parade day. 
I'm really enjoying sharing the books with him, especially the first couple, where Harry is younger.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.